Thursday, January 31, 2008

Amazing, and Wholly Unexpected

Yes, that could be your reaction to seeing a new post so soon after my last post. (It's certainly Parie's.) But the title refers to what happened this morning. Parie had to go to Doc G.'s office (she's got a nasty cough) and I was feeding the boy. After we finished, I picked him up and was dancing slowly around the room, and noticed he was burying his head in my shoulder and chest, telling me he was a little tired. So I kept swaying slowly to some music I'd just popped onto the iPod (the new one by slowcore band Radar Bros.),and then eventually sat down. Sofian didn't make a peep of frustration at this. So we hung out in Mama's favorite chair (the recliner) and listened to more of the album (quite a luxury for me these days to just sit and listen to music without doing something else).

After a few tunes, I could tell his breathing was heavier and that he was more deeply asleep. So, I got up, brought him to his crib, and put him down. And there he stayed for nearly two hours.

The significance of this is that it usually takes a feeding from Parie or a drive in Bertie the Bio Bullet to get this boy to sleep. He doesn't just decide to nap out, it takes work. Maybe this portends to better self-soothing-to-sleep in the weeks to come?

Speaking of eating, here's Sofian and his new food plate/tray (with farm animals with their names written in French). (But don't get too excited about his spoon skills -- he's still quite happy just squeezing the food through his fingers for the time being.)

Trying out the new food tray


 

No comments: